1. Title of Workshop: Curriculum Design for ensuring Competency Based Medical Education
2. Names of Faculty with Designation, Institutional Affiliations and Emails:
- Dr Thomas Chacko, Director, PSG-FAIMER Regional Institute, Coimbatore
- Dr Nirmala Rege, Prof & Head Dept of Pharmacology & Therapeutics ,
Seth GS Medical College& KEM Hospital, Mumbai
- Dr Soumendra Sahoo, Head of the Department Ophthalmology
Melaka Manipal Medical College, Melaka,Malaysia
- Dr. Nitu Gogoi
3. Brief Introduction to Workshop
The Medical Council of India after its curricular reforms exercise has indicated a shift from predominantly informative to competency based curriculum by identifying and listing the graduate outcomes expected of an Indian Medical Graduate. All Institutions have been asked to form curriculum committees to revise their curricula to produce competent job-ready holistic clinician who is a good communicator, leader of health teams and ethical and responsive professional. In order that these outcomes are achieved, all faculty involved in curriculum planning and implementation must be familiar with the process of curriculum design so that they can guide others within their institution and departments.
This workshop aims at building your capacity so that you can be the academic leader in your institution / University / National level organization that can provide leadership for initiating and sustaining the changes needed.
4. Who Should Attend?
Faculty members interested in improving and ensuring student learning ,
MEU members, Curriculum Committee members to ensure curricula are in alignment to help students achieve the MCI listed Graduate outcomes of Indian Medical Graduate
5. Intended Outcomes: Participants would be able to:
- State the need and advantages of moving towards Competency-based Education
- Identify the gaps in current curriculum using the process of curriculum review
- Do Curriculum Design using a framework/ systematic process
- Identify learning experiences and methods of assessments needed for ensuring Competencies needed for an Indian Medical Graduate
- 5. Key References.
- MCI: Indian Medical Graduate
- Kern DE et al (Edit). Curriculum Development for Medical education: a six step approach (2009) The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore USA
- Prideaux D. ABC of Teaching & Learning in Medicine: Curriculum Design. BMJ 2003;326;268-270